Veterinary Ophthalmology (VOPH-L) and ACVO Member (ACVO-L) Listserv Guidelines
Please take a moment to review the VOPH-L and ACVO-L listserv guidelines to make sure that, when you are posting to the listserv, you are following the proper rules. Abuse of the listserv guidelines may result in withdrawal of listserv privileges for the offending participant.
What the listserv should provide
- Opportunities to benefit from the collective wisdom of the group.
- A chance to share commonly valuable information inexpensively and quickly (e.g. Information on conference or regional meeting times and locations).
What the listserv should refrain from
- Items whose principle premise is to promote an event which does not have a veterinary ophthalmology related component.
- Items that principally involve communications that are germane to just a few people.
- Items that essentially lobby fellow listserv participants on an issue being debated within the veterinary profession.
- Anything that involves subjects of an anti-trust nature, or that violates law.
- Any discussion or promotion of products, services, digital platforms, etc. that violate law, , including copyright and/or trademark use violations.
- Messages that contain information that is abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, profane, discriminatory, political or otherwise inappropriate that could be offensive to one or more participants.
- You should reply to the listserv when the information you are sharing is something everyone can potentially benefit from (e.g. How you or your organization handles an issue which was posted as a question).
- You should reply only to the individual asking the question when your response is confidential, has application to only the person asking, and/or is seeking to determine your attendance at a function.
- When posting on the listserv please include an auto signature with your message or otherwise make sure your email address follows your name.
- Exclude any auto signatures that are political, religious or otherwise offensive in nature to the participants of the list serve.
- User agrees to refrain from posting information and/or participating in online discussions having antitrust implications, and that may lead to, whether expressed or implied, price fixing, boycotting of any industry, company or business, or any other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Discussion of specific prices or fees that could lead to price fixing is prohibited.
- User agrees to refrain from posting information and/or participating in online discussions that are, or could be, considered a breach of ethics or a violation of ACVO’s harassment policy, or violate law, including copyright or trademark use law.
- Please note that when you select the "Reply" button on your email, the response will be distributed to everyone on the listserv. To respond to an individual, place that individual’s email address in the "To" box.
- Be professional at all times. As we all know, there are many ways to solve the same problem. We must all be able to “agree to disagree” without attacking anyone or anything on the listserv. If someone feels a professional or ethical line has been crossed, there are appropriate arenas to resolve that conflict, but it is NOT the listserv. Abuse of the listserv guidelines may result in withdrawal of listserv privileges for the offending participant.
- Please do not forward listserv content to non-participants without the permission of the original sender.
- The listserv is “private” meaning that subscriptions have to be entered manually by the list owner. Inclusion in either listserv is subject to the approval of the list owner and ACVO administration at all times, as well as these guidelines. VOPH-L is open to: ACVO or ECVO diplomates, ACVO or ECVO residents or Ophthalmologists in other countries with training similar to ours and residents of these ophthalmologists. ACVO-L is open to ACVO Members only.
- The listserv is “confidential” meaning that the lists do not show up on the list of listserv lists published by the University of Georgia. The University of Georgia is the “host” of our listserv.
- Listserv users need to be careful what is stated on the listserv even though it is considered “private and confidential”. There is nothing that can prevent a user from violating listserv etiquette and forwarding a posted email to a non-participant; although such violations, if traceable, could lead to withdrawal of listserv privileges for the offending participant.
- If a listserv feels that someone has access to the listserv without proper credentials, please contact the administrator, Dr. Ralph Hamor (email@example.com).